Monday, January 1, 2018

Duff Review: Susan Cadogan "The Girl Who Cried Over You" Single!

Stonyhill Records
Digital (vinyl 7" single to come from Jump Up Records)
2018

(Review by Steve Shafer)

The first day of 2018 brings two new shimmering ska tracks from Susan Cadogan (who, lucky for us, continues her incredibly fruitful long-distance collaboration with the wonderfully gifted producer, songwriter, and musician Mitch "King Kong" Girio). "I Don't Want Anybody But You" (co-written by Girio and Michelle McKibbon) is about coming to the surprising but profound realization that you've found the person to spend the rest of your life with ("When the TV’s barking the news and bringing me down/And I’m stuck at the bottom/You pick me up just to carry around/Saying you’re not forgotten/My heart is telling me something.../I don’t want anybody, but you"). "The Girl Who Cried Over You"--where the singer is devastated over a relationship gone bad but won't let go--is borrowed from the 2015 Fabulous Lolo (AKA Lorraine Muller of The Kingpins, etc.) Meets King Kong Girio My Favourite Heart to Break album. Few singers express the highs and lows of romantic love so well as Cadogan. One listen to these tracks and you'll already have heard some of the best ska that will be released in 2018.

+ + + +

No comments: